I launched my career working with brands to create content at high volume. Since then, I’ve partnered with several companies and nonprofit organizations to manage content production and write lively, informative marketing material. I believe in using research, data, and storytelling to produce consumer-facing and B2B content that informs, inspires, and builds loyalty.
I have experience in personal finance, pets, and lifestyle content such as fitness and women’s health and pleasure. Clients I’ve worked with include Nike, REI, Rover.com, The National Forest Foundation, LevelTen Energy, Loup, Kinship, Ask the Dentist, The Bellevue Collection, Oyster, and Trip Advisor.
Services I offer include:
Content and copywriting
- Reported features, profiles, and case studies
- Quippy, energetic ad copy
- Short-form educational marketing material such as PDFs and thought leadership content
- Long-form material such as eBooks and ghostwritten autobiography
- Newsletter production
- Social media copy for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other emerging platforms
Content Strategy + Editing
- Building content strategy on a quarterly basis
- Generating story ideas
- SEO research and keyword recommendation
- Competitor analysis
- Content management
Writing, Research, Reporting
Outdoors for All: Plus-Size Climbers Challenge Stereotypes – REI
How to Travel and Explore Vietnam – REI
Snowflake Lane: The Most Magical Winter Wonderland – The Bellevue Collection
Is This the Most Charming Town in Mexico? A Guide to Sayulita – Oyster.com
My Ultimate Checklist to Yellowstone National Park – Trip Advisor
Content Strategy and Editing
- I created the international content strategy for the launch of Rover.com’s Canada and UK blogs, using SEO recommendations and completing a competitive analysis to inform a six-month content plan. Later, I was hired again to handle the strategy and day-to-day editing, assigning, and publishing of Rover.com’s Cats vertical. This new content drove tens of thousands of page views during my time there.
“[Colleen] created and managed a big editorial calendar and sorted through the analytics to provide solid content recommendations for our new markets. I continue to hire her for freelance writing now that that project is completed and recommend her wholeheartedly.” – Irene Keliher, former Content Strategist at Rover.com, current Manager of Content Marketing at Remit.ly
- I edited and fact-checked a startup celebrity fitness app’s content for accuracy, grammar, and alignment with the U.S. market. This started as a large, bulk project just before the app’s launch and continued as an ongoing project.
“Colleen has proven to be an invaluable freelance resource to our business, at a time when we needed fast, accurate editing on a range of health and wellness content for a US market… Reliable, professional, and work quality is of a consistently high standard. Always a pleasure to work with Colleen!” – Barbara Macciolli, Head of Content at Loup
- After three years as a staff editor at SheKnows Media, I returned to do contract work as an interim sponsored content editor while they sought their new hire. I worked with top brands to create content that made sense on SheKnows.com, assigned stories to freelancers, edited assignments with rounds of feedback from the brands, wrote ad copy for banners and AMPs around the site, and assisted the sales team in content concepts in the pre-sale stage.
“Colleen brought an extremely fresh take to sponsored content at SheKnows. She pushed boundaries with her creativity, always thinking outside the box. She was always professional and organized when working with both clients and writers to make sure content was original and shareable.” – Catherine Conelly, former Senior Editor at SheKnows, current Content Editor at Hawke Media